Thursday, March 08, 2012

Your Two Best Friends, where Your Horses are Concerned.


Decisions to be made
After you have bought your horse; or before in some cases, if you're a planner like I am; there are two people that will be crucial in your horse's care and maintenance. I consider them my two best friends where I am concerned. It doesn't matter if you have pasture ornaments, or top notch performance horses, you're still going to need these two people in your life with horses. Who are these people? Your veterinarian and your farrier. Proper horse care can not be manages without these two people.
Careful consideration should be taken in choosing each of these people, and they should be put in speed dial on your cell phones, and posted on the horse's stall or pasture if it is boarded somewhere.
Vet
I prefer to use a vet that has specialized in large animal or livestock management. They tend to have mobile clinics, and do not hesitate to come to your farm, when you need them. I wouldn't suggest looking a vet up in the yellow pages, I would suggest that you select your vet, from word of mouth. Go to the farmer's co-op, feed store, local horse show, where ever horse people are sure to be around, and ask. Most horse people will be glad to tell you what vets they recommend to use, and which ones to avoid. They will usually willingly share this same information about farriers as well.
Why do you need a good vet? Well, if you don't already know the answer to this, let me explain. There are annual, and bi-annual vaccinations that horses require, along with a blood test that is required yearly. Now, depending on where you live, and how much you haul your horse around to shows, the vaccinations will change, but that I know of everywhere requires that Coggins tests be done yearly. Some horse shows and rodeos, require a 6-months coggins test to get in the gates. Your horses teeth need to be checked at least once a year, some require twice a year. I'm lucky in that both of my horses only require the once a year check, and I haven't had to have them floated yet, knock on wood.
You'll also need a good vet, if your horse ever gets hurt or becomes ill, especially if it is beyond your expertise to care for the injury or illness. They are also very useful in helping to determine your horse's diet, and nutritional needs. Most will answer questions you may have over the phone, without charging for it. Though I'm sure some probably do charge for it.
Like I said, they are one of your best friends, your go to person for horse stuff.
Farrier
I would suggest finding a farrier the same way you found a vet, by word of mouth. But with a farrier, a few things change on the criteria on which he/she is selected.
Things to keep in mind when selecting a farrier:
  1. Your horse, how does it act for the farrier? If you have a horse, that for whatever reason does not behave well for the farrier, you need a farrier that is very patient and kind.
  2. What do you use your horse for, or plan to use it for? Chances are, if you plan to only trail ride on rare events, you won't use the same farrier as a Grand Prix dressage rider, though it is a possibility.
  3. Do you want barefoot or shod? A lot of this will be determined by your horses feet, how he/she is kept, and what you plan to use him/her for.
  4. How the farrier is with horses? You really don't want a rough farrier.
  5. The farrier's reputation? You want a farrier with a good reputation on how he/she handles the horses, and how well he/she performs his/her actual job. Also is he/she known for keeping their appointments, and being on time?
My farrier is very gentle with my horses, he actually hums while he's working on them. He's also not one of them that if a horse is a little flighty, the first thought to cross his mind is drug it. He is patient and kind, and does a fantastic job. He's also extremely honest.
Last summer we had a drought, so the horses feet were not growing as fast as usual, so he cleaned up the edges to re-roll their toes, but did not trim anything off. He did not charge me for either horse, because he was at my place less than 30 minutes. He made my next appointment for him in his date book, gave me a card with the time and date on it, and was on his way. He always calls the night before the appointment to make sure that I remember (like I could forget, I usually put it in my phone, which I always have on me.), and he's always there when he says he will be. On the rare occasion that he was running late because of whatever he calls to let me know.
I honestly couldn't replace him, and I wouldn't want to either. I know that if I'm having trouble with one of the horse's feet, that I can call him, and he'll either tell me what to do, or come to check it out if he thinks the situation requires it.
My other go to person for my horses.
Summary
While there are many horse people in my life that I rely on for information concerning my horses, none of them are as important as these two instrumental people. A good vet, and a good farrier can save you time and money in the long run. When you build and cultivate a relationship with them that tells them that you are glad that they service your horses and appreciate their services, they will bend over backwards to help you when you need it.
I will tell anyone what vet and farrier I use, in a heartbeat and without hesitation. Giving them each glowing reviews because they honestly deserve it.
These are the kinds of people that you need around you, where your horses are concerned and in everyday life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment